DIY music. Sure there is a music industry, but music does not have to be industrial. You can make it yourself, and better yet, playing tunes and singing songs with friends can be much more satisfying than the best concert or recording. This episode of Rise When the Rooster crows features music you can make yourself, and gives shout-outs to groups and websites that can help you find a place to start. You are the music.
Artists in this episode include: The Nettles; Foghorn Stringband; Liz Carroll; Fiddlehead; Carolina Chocolate Drops; Chesapeake; Abigail Washburn; SLO County Stumblers; Bryan Sutton; Bill Gallaher w/Harmony Road; Jesse Milnes & Emily Miller; Espen Wensaas (with Olav Christer Rossebo, Anders Lillebo); Tony Furtado; Fadin' by 9; Bruce Molsky & Big Hoedown; Frank Lee & Allie Burbrink; Carl Jones; Eileen Ivers; Lauren Sheehan; Clyde Curley & Oxymorons; Dan Maher; Broadside; Alex Sturbaum.
Here are a bunch of resources to help you get your DIY music going.
- TrailJams Tune of the Week - if you would like to learn some traditional Irish tunes, here is a good collection to choose from. Based in Portland, Oregon, with weekly in-person gatherings to play tunes.
- Northwest Folklife Festival - The biggest free folk music festival of the Pacific Northwest. Seattle, May 27 - 30. In person and online. A great place to inspire your muse.
- Bubbaville Calendar - A great place to find old time, Bluegrass, Irish, and related music jams and sessions that you can join in on. Based in Portland, Oregon.
- Oregon Old Time Fiddlers' Association - OOTFA has many events where you can learn and play American old-time music
- Portland FolkMusic Society - find "song circles" where you can sing in rich harmony. Concerts, workshops, retreats, and other music events too.
- Mud City Old-Time Society - this Eugene, Oregon group has a brand new website, and they have just restarted their old-time music jams.
- Corvallis Folklore Society - Song circles, concerts, workshops and more. Corvallis, Oregon.
- Oregon Bluegrass Association - Bluegrass jams, concerts, lessons and more.