We are Volunteer-Powered, Non-Commercial, Listener-Sponsored, Full-Strength Community Radio for Portland, Oregon, the Pacific Northwest, the World
and Beyond! 💫✨
We broadcast at
90.7 fm in Portland
104.3 fm in Corvallis
91.9 fm in Hood River
Our transmitter is located at the Stonehenge Tower in SW Portland - check out these great photos.
Values that are the essence of KBOO and remain intact no matter how the station changes:
- Community: local, accessible, empowering. welcoming, inclusive, participatory, involved
- Progressive Perspective: questioning, vital, uncensored, controversial, activist resource, educational, journalistic integrity, reflecting justice, peace, sustainability and democracy.
- Emotional Maturity: respectful, honest, fair, positive, peaceful, non-violent, engaging, open
- Diversity: valuing, embracing, bridging, listening, understanding, giving voice
- Leadership: bold, exploring, independent, cutting edge, responsible, excellence
- Creativity: eclectic, traditional to experimental, idiosyncratic, innovative, iconoclastic. evolving, compelling
KBOO is an independent, member-supported, non-commercial, volunteer-powered community radio station. KBOO embodies equitable social change, shares knowledge, and fosters creativity by delivering locally rooted and diverse music, culture, news, and opinions, with a commitment to the voices of oppressed and underserved communities.
Vision Statement:Grassroots KBOO fearlessly strives to deliver powerfully just, lovingly eclectic, vibrantly provocative grassroots content while honoring our growing radical revolutionary legacy. Service
KBOO shall be a model of programming, filling needs that other media do not, providing programming to unserved or underserved groups. KBOO shall provide access and training to those communities.
KBOO news and public affairs programming shall place an emphasis on providing a forum for unpopular, controversial, or neglected perspectives on important local, national, and international issues, reflecting KBOO’s values of peace, justice, democracy, human rights, multiculturalism, environmentalism, freedom of expression, and social change.
KBOO’s arts, cultural, and musical programming shall cover a wide spectrum of expression from traditional to experimental, and reflect the diverse cultures we serve. KBOO shall strive for spontaneity and programming excellence, both in content and technique.
A group of Portlanders, disgruntled at the lack of a classical music station, organized themselves as Portland Listener Supported Radio in 1964. They had heard of Lorenzo Milam, a former KPFA volunteer, and the success of the station called KRAB that he had started in Seattle. Lorenzo Milam agreed to help them organize a station, and after a series of meetings, Portland Listener Supported Radio applied for a license for a Portland radio station.
KBOO is a union shop - all regular, non-interim employees are represented by CWA Local 7901.
KBOO is governed by a Board of Directors elected by the membership, and a small staff which help coordinate the day-to-day operations and the hundreds of volunteers who help make this community effort a reality.
Click the links below for more information about each of these parts of KBOO's democratic structure:
- KBOO Bylaws
- Board of Directors
- Development & Events Committee
- Events Committee (2015-2019)
- Engineering Committee
- Finance Committee
- 2023 Finance Committee Minutes
- 2022 Finance Committee Minutes
- 2021 Finance Committee Meeting Minutes
- 2020 Finance Committee Meeting Minutes
- 2019 Finance Committee Meeting Minutes
- 2018 Finance Committee Meeting Minutes
- 2017 Finance Committee Meeting Minutes
- 2016 Finance Committee Meeting Minutes
- 2013 Finance Committee Meeting Minutes
- 2012 Finance Committee Meeting Minutes
- 2011 Finance Committee Meeting Minutes
- 2010 Finance Committee Meeting Minutes
- 2009 Finance Committee Meeting Minutes
- Governance and Policy Committee (formerly...
- 2023 Governance and Policy Committee...
- 2022 Governance and Policy Committee...
- 2021 Personnel/Governance Committee...
- 2020 Personnel/Governance Committee...
- 2019 Personnel/Governance Committee...
- 2018 Personnel/Governance Committee...
- 2017 Personnel/Governance Committee...
- 2016 Personnel Committee Meeting Minutes
- 2015 Personnel Committee Meeting Minutes
- 2014 Personnel Committee Meeting Minutes
- Governance Committee Minutes (2015 & earlier)
- Membership Engagement Committee
- Nominating Committee
- Programming Advisory Committee
- 2023 Program Advisory Committee Meeting...
- 2022 Program Advisory Committee Meeting...
- 2021 Programming Advisory Committee...
- 2020 Programming Advisory Committee...
- 2019 Programming Advisory Committee...
- 2018 Programming Advisory Committee...
- 2017 Programming Advisory Committee...
- 2019 Programming Advisory Committee...
- 2016 Programming Advisory Committee...
- 2015 Programming Advisory Committee...
- 2014 Programming Advisory Committee...
- 2013 Programming Advisory Committee...
- 2011 Programming Advisory Committee...
- 2010 Programming Advisory Committee...
- 2009 Programming Advisory Committee Minutes
- 2008 Programming Advisory Committee...
- Strategic Plan Workgroup
- KBOO Policies
- Ways to Support KBOO
- Section I. 2. Foundation--Legal Requirements
- KBOO Finances
- Section I. 3. Foundation--Operating
- Annual Reports
- CPB/FCC Information
- Section III. Committees