Uploading Audio Step-by-Step
Uploading News and or Public Affairs Audio to the KBOO Website
Editing & Compressing your Audio with Adobe Audition
- You need an audio file to begin with. If you have a CD of the audio, extract the audio and start a new file using Adobe Audition. Most volunteer computers have Adobe Audition on them.
- Edit out any music that is subject to copyright. Edit out any extraneous material at the beginning or end of the file.
- Save the file as a mp3 file.
- Sample Rate: 44100
- Resolution: 16 Bit
- Channel: Mono for public affairs, stereo for music.
- The size limit for uploads on the website is 200MB. Make sure your file is not bigger or it will not upload.
Uploading the Audio to the KBOO website
- Now that you have the file saved correctly, you are ready to upload it to the website.
- Login to the KBOO website using your user name and password. (You must have been given the correct privileges to upload by the Web Coordinator or the News/PA Director.)
- Look under Control Panel at the lower right side of the page. Under Create Content, click on Audio. A blank Create Audio form comes up. Fill it out using the following instructions.
- Title – Enter a short title that describes the audio, e.g. Noam Chomsky on Middle East Politics or Gardening with Containers, etc. Do not enter the name and/or date of the Program here. That is covered later.
- Body – Enter a description of the program with any links or other material that was mentioned in the show. If you did not do the program yourself, you can often use the info on the Schedule for the day the show aired. You can copy much of the needed information from what was written to promote the show. The body can pretty much be as long as you would like.
- Program – Select the name of the Program that you are uploading.
- Program Date – Enter the date the Program aired.
- Short Description – Enter a quick description of the program. You can use a portion of the material you entered in the Body.
- Image - If you want to include a new image you must have an image saved on the computer to use. To find an image, use Google or search creative commons and go to the site of the guest, or their organization, or their book, for an image. When you find an image, Right Click on it. Then Left click on “Save Image As.” Save it to a place that will be easy for you to find like the Desktop. Name it something easy to remember. Don't change the file type! Click on Save.
- Image – Continued. Now you have a saved image to use. Click on Browse. Window comes up. Change “Look in” box at top to the location where you saved the image. (On some computers the saved image automatically goes to Downloads, so look or search for that folder if necessary.) Find the image you saved and Left click on it to choose it and then Left click on Open. That puts it in the image box. Now click on Upload to enter the image.
- Image – If you are uploading audio for a Program that already has an image on the Schedule on the website, you can use the image that is already on the Schedule and follow the above instructions for saving it. Or it usually works to copy the entire description and image from the schedule and paste it into the Body. The image shows up immediately. If you do this, you usually need to edit out some extra stuff like the categories, program name and other unneeded stuff that you get in the Body box.